The dry winter air can wreak havoc on your hair. Here are five hair care tips to keep it looking great.
- Shampoo less frequently and follow cleansing with an intensive organic conditioner at least once a week. Be sure to rinse your hair with lukewarm or cool water as hot water will strip your hair of natural oils.
- A leave-in conditioner will keep strands more hydrated as the colder weather and indoor heating systems tend to dry out the hair. Use a lightweight detangler or leave-in conditioning spray.
- For extra-dry hair, use a leave-in silicone-free hair nourishment oil. You can also add about five to 10 drops of oil to your shampoo and your conditioner for extra benefits. John Masters Organics Dry Hair Nourishment and Defrizzer is a good option.
- Mist hair frequently throughout the day with an organic hydrating mist. John Masters Organics Lavender Hydrating Mist works well for this.
- An organic apple cider vinegar rinse is great to bring your hair back to the proper pH level after shampooing. It closes the hair cuticle and helps with static, leaving hair smooth and naturally shiny. Ending your shower with a cold rinse will also help to close your hair cuticles and add shine. Stay away from wool hats or wool pillow slips. These cause static electricity or “hat hair,” resulting in flyaway and unflattering hair.