Shake off the winter blues and delight your senses with Angostura Bitters. This unique ingredient lends an unmistakable flavor and aroma to this delicious and heart-warming Cranberry Orange Pecan Bread.
For more recipe ideas, go to culinary.net.
Cranberry-Orange Pecan Bread
- 1 rounded cup fresh or frozen cranberries (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Angostura Orange Bitters
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- If using frozen cranberries, spread berries out on cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut large cranberries in half.
- In large bowl, combine flour with sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, nuts and egg; blend thoroughly with whisk. Stir in cranberries.
- In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, orange zest, orange juice, bitters and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients and stir gently until fully moistened; do not over mix. Spoon batter into pan and smooth out top.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let rest in pan 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely for at least 1 hour before slicing.