To bring back that natural glow, the Canadian Health Food Association (CHFA) shares ways to revitalize your beauty routine to help you say hello to refreshed, supple skin and luminous locks this spring.
“Spring is the season of renewal,” says Michelle W. Book, CHFA’s in-house holistic nutritionist. “Taking the time to think about what you’re putting in and onto your body is important. From healthy foods to natural health products, as well as skin and hair care products, revitalizing your beauty routine will help you glow from the inside out.”
These are Michelle’s favourite natural beauty tips for achieving glowing skin, shiny hair and vibrancy from the inside out.
1. Lit From Within
While we know diet is key in maintaining our internal health, it also plays a vital role in enhancing and maintaining our skin. There are many powerful nutrients found in foods and supplements that help to improve skin health and vibrancy, such as the following:
- Omega-3 fatty acids. Research shows omega-3s help reduce inflammation in the skin and promote skin healing. They also reduce sun damage and signs of skin aging.1
- Collagen. Supplementing a diet with collagen will not only improve skin elasticity,2but also help to reduce signs of aging. Studies found that collagen supplementation reduced signs of crow’s feet and wrinkles by 13 per cent while improving overall skin hydration.3
- Probiotics. These good bacteria do more than improve gut health. They also help to reduce inflammation and aggravation epidermis, calming the skin and promoting a radiant glow.
2. Nurture Skin Back to Vibrancy With Beauty Oils
Nourishing the outermost layers of the skin with natural beauty oils can help to restore a youthful radiance. A little goes a long way with these natural oils, which can be applied directly to the skin, or added to a homemade beauty mask or scrub.
- Rosehip seed oil. Naturally rich in vitamins A, C and E, rosehip seed oil boasts unique moisturizing properties that can increase skin elasticity, and reduce moisture loss and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in mature skin.
- Baobab oil. This compound locks in moisture, and its unique blend of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids gives skin a healthy glow.
- Argan oil. Used for centuries to protect and nourish skin, hair and nails from harsh conditions, argan oil is a go-to, anti-aging treatment that has also been shown to reduce pigmentation and age spots.
3. How to Navigate the Beauty Aisles
With so many options, choosing a new beauty product can be overwhelming. Fortunately, there are some easy ways to select more natural hair care and cosmetic products by following these simple tips.
- Lustrous Locks. Many shampoos and conditioners contain chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfates and parabens, which can dry out hair. To give hair a nourishing boost, look for shampoos and conditioners with natural ingredients, such as marula oil and coconut water.
- Natural Hair Colour. Some dyes contain chemicals that can damage your locks. Ditch those for natural hair dyes, which instead rely on herbal ingredients and other plant-based pigments that condition while adding vibrant, long-lasting colour.
- Mineral Makeup. When it comes to selecting natural cosmetics, look for mineral-based makeup. Many natural cosmetics contain botanical extracts rich in antioxidants like vitamins C and E, which will help protect skin against free-radical damage. Virtually any type of makeup can be found with a mineral base, including mascara, eyeliner and foundation.
Get more natural beauty tips and find your local CHFA Member health food store at chfa.ca.